Thursday, March 5, 2009

Week 1: Update

Last Monday, I was snowed in, so I took the opportunity to go through my kitchen cabinets and inventory everything I had in them. I also started working on reorganizing the counter and drawers. I’m hoping to transfer the inventory to a computer file, so updates would be easier and less wasteful (due to the paper otherwise used). I still have the pantry, kitchen closet, black shelves and mini fridge to go through.

I do have to say that I feel more in control after having done this. I didn’t realize we had no cans of tuna but had a jar of mint jelly or four boxes of cornstarch! (We do use a lot of cornstarch, so this was actually a relief.)

Our week’s menu has been coming along nicely. Today is Thursday, and we still have food enough to last till Saturday.

The Spicy Seafood Bokkeum was delicious. We finished the last of it on Tuesday. The Shepherd Pie was a success (my first attempt!), and the last of it was gobbled up yesterday. We still have Hearty Homemade Tomato Soup left from Tuesday night, which we are slowly devouring. It’s a good thing we don’t mind leftovers. That’s not to say that we couldn’t handle our meals the same way a number of other people do. The “make two meals out of one” concept where you serve roast chicken one night, and then take the leftovers and make a stir-fry or salad from them. In our household, at this time, such things are really not necessary. We don’t mind eating leftovers several days, or even several meals, in a row.

We haven’t had the chili yet, so that might happen tomorrow night or be added to next week’s meal plan. Tonight, we are looking at salads from leftover produce we got last week. Somehow, it all still looks fine. Hmm…

One thing I did notice, however, is that my belly is very not happy this week. I don’t know if I caught a bug (very possible) or if we are just eating a lot more veggies than our bodies are used to. The latter would be a little odd, considering we always tend to have a decent amount of produce in our diets… but this week definitely would show a marked increase. I think my body is adjusting though, which would be nice.

Anyways, that’s that for now. I am expectantly waiting for the corned beef and cabbage to start going on super sale in preparation for Saint Patrick’s Day. We love both and I plan to definitely stock up. I could eat corned beef every day for a month… I think. And I’d love to try making my Saint Patty’s Shepherd Pie again. Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment